Call for composers
We are proud to announce the inaugural winner of our national call for composers:
Praised for his “sophisticated writing...and intriguing rhythms” (GTM), Ari Sussman (b. 1993) is a Philadelphia born and Ann Arbor based pianist and composer of vocal, chamber, orchestral, choral, and electronic music. His music has been performed throughout the United States and Europe by ensembles such as The Chicago Ensemble, the KC VITAs Chamber Choir, Inventio Music, Zamir Chorale of Boston, American Modern Ensemble, Zemer Chai, the Juventas New Music Ensemble, among others. Kabbalah, nature, cosmology, meditation, metaphysics, ancient and contemporary poetry, and the human condition are among Sussman's non-musical influences and interests. As a result, Sussman's music illustrates equivocal worlds of sounds that are ambient, euphonious, and ethereal in nature.
A personal note from Ari: "I am so honored and humbled to be working with 208 ensemble. Their mission and vision is so crucial for giving breath to the art of living composers and their outstanding artistry and the unique makeup of the ensemble provide amazing opportunities to make great art. I am incredibly excited to be working with the ensemble at Treefort Music Fest both as a music creator and music lover with the chance to bring contemporary classical music to the masses in Boise and beyond. I hope that this is just the beginning of a long and outstanding relationship with the ensemble and the musicians within."
Our 2019-2020 commission project will go like this:
● Early November 2018: submissions are due
● December 1, 2018: 208 ensemble will select a composer from the submissions, all composers who submitted will be notified of the results
● March 20-24, 2019: We will perform one of your pre-existing works at our curated performance, “avant-garden” within Treefort Music Fest in beautiful Boise, Idaho.
We’ll invite you to come out to Boise during the festival and work with us as we prepare for the show. We’ll give you a pass to the festival and ask that you to present a public workshop, lecture, or presentation-- whatever you’re most excited about! We can talk details later on.
● April 2019: After you’ve had a chance to meet us and get to know our community a bit, we’ll disperse 50% of the fee and a commission contract.
● February 1, 2019: DUE DATE for score and parts. Once we receive the completed work, we will
disperse the remaining 50% of the commission fee.
● March 25-29, 2020: The premiere of the commissioned piece will take place at Treefort Music Fest. We’ll invite you to come back to Boise to work with us as we prepare for the premiere. As in 2019, we’ll ask you to give a short presentation/workshop/lecture during the festival.
● June/July 2020: We’ll perform the piece twice more in unique venues in Boise as part of our annual fundraising event.
● BEYOND...if we LOVE your work, we’ll commit to performing it at Treefort and Fundraiser events in future seasons.